How To Make Your Own Churros
Crispy sticks of fried dough tossed in sugar and smothered with chocolate – who can resist these delicious Spanish treats! Why not rustle up a batch yourself with our super-simple recipe!
- 80g butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 250ml water
- 150g all purpose flour
- 75g caster sugar, for dusting
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil, to deep fry
- 100g dark or milk chocolate chopped
- 125ml cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Add the butter, 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and water to a saucepan. Bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Remove from the heat and then add the flour, stir to combine.
- Place the saucepan back on a high heat and stir continuously for 2 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Leave for 10 minutes to cool.
- Mix together the remaining sugar and cinnamon and spread onto a large baking tray.
- In a bowl, beat the dough with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the eggs and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Put the dough mixture to a piping bag with a 2cm/3/4″ nozzle.
- Add the oil to a large saucepan, so that reaches approximately 6cm/2" up the side of the pan.
- Heat the oil over medium/high heat.
- When the oil is hot, pipe 3 x 10cm/3 x 4" lengths of dough into the oil, cutting the dough with scissors.
- Cook for 2-3 mins (or until brown).
- Transfer the fried dough to a plate or chopping board lined with kitchen paper.
- Dust in the cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Add the chocolate, cream and sugar to a saucepan.
- Cook until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth. Melt over a low heat to ensure you do not burn the chocolate.
- Transfer the sauce into a small bowl, ready for dipping.